Can't get my system to POST
Posted on 2006-11-16
Good morning all,
2 days ago I turned on my monitor to do a bit of work on my computer, the PC was already powered up and sitting at the desktop but it had locked up. I didn't think too much of it and did a hard reboot. Unfortunately when I rebooted it my monitor went to standby and the computer won't POST so I'm unable to do anything with it. I then left the system powered off for a few hours and tried again but got the same results.
When I hit the power switch all the fans start up, lights on my case turn on but nothing else. I don't even get any beeps when I power it on so that rules out the troubleshooting from that end.
Things I've tried so far:
1) 2 different power supplies
2) Re-seating the CPU
3) Removing both my memory modules, then trying one of them at a time (system still doesnt beep when I power it on without ANY memory present)
4) Removed my Gfx card (Radeon 9800) and my Soundcard then powering on
5) Disconnected all IDE devices and then powering all
6) Tried a different monitor
All of the above gave exactly the same results as before so my only guess is that either the motherboard is dead or the CPU has died but I'd like some second opinions from you guys.
Motherboard is a AsRock K7S41 with an Athlon XP 3200