Improve company productivity with a Business Account.Sign Up

x
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 343
  • Last Modified:

Thread of task manager

I have seen that the priority of a threat can be adjusted via task manager. Priority-Normal etc.

Q: Can I use a normal delphi application and predefine the priority via code ( I have not set programed a thread in the app)
Second: Is it possible to start an app via predefined threads e.g. via batch file?

Thanks
hush021299
Asked:
hush021299
1 Solution

MerijnBSr. Software EngineerCommented:
I have some trouble understanding your question:

1) the thread you are talking about, did you make it yourself, if yes, how? Using TThread
2). I don't understand the 2nd one at all :)

tobjectpascalCommented:
var
Wnd : hwnd;
ProcessID,cpid : Cardinal;
begin
Wwnd:=Form1.handle; //handle of your app or another
ProcessID := GetWindowThreadProcessID(wnd,@cpid);
SetThreadPriority(ProcessID,THREAD_PRIORITY_LOWEST);

or

THREAD_PRIORITY_ABOVE_NORMAL  
THREAD_PRIORITY_HIGHEST  
THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL  
THREAD_PRIORITY_BELOW_NORMAL  
THREAD_PRIORITY_LOWEST    

David_WardCommented:
@tobjectpascal: <grin> I notice you left out "RealTime", but then, I would NOT advise the use of that one, iether.
Get 10% Off Your First Squarespace Website

Ready to showcase your work, publish content or promote your business online? With Squarespace’s award-winning templates and 24/7 customer service, getting started is simple. Head to Squarespace.com and use offer code ‘EXPERTS’ to get 10% off your first purchase.

hush021299Author Commented:
Sorry I werent around a few days.

The thread I refere is for an external program. Lets say I write program a to display hello world. Executing will display a in the task manager. Here I find a menu for priorisation. As long it runs I can set priority to low.

So, I could think of a tool which starts another program on a different threat, unless this program has been programmed using threads at all.

hush021299Author Commented:
I guess the answer from tobjectpascal could do it, unless I dont know the handle of the program before it executes. But then, can I search for the name to get the handle?

MerijnBSr. Software EngineerCommented:
yes, you can use FindWindow()
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

Join & Write a Comment

Featured Post

Keep up with what's happening at Experts Exchange!

Sign up to receive Decoded, a new monthly digest with product updates, feature release info, continuing education opportunities, and more.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now