Troubleshoot and repair Jet 4.0 database engine that will not link to ODBC databases
Posted on 2006-11-23
After installing Norton Internet Security 7.0, I open up Access 2003. Open an existing database, select the 'Get External Data', 'Link Tables...', and then click 'ODBC Databases()' for the file type. Normally, a list of acceptable ODBC Databases will appear for user selection. However, this time there are no database list displayed, and every dialogue box closed up as if the 'Link Tables...' command never had ran in the first place. I started to troubleshoot my problems as follows:
1. Created a new Access database db1.mdb and retried the 'Link Tables...' again. Same problem, no ODBC database list.
2. Examined the MSJet40.dll (version 4.0.8618.0, dated 8/4/2004) registry configuration settings. They all matched what Microsoft recommended. My O/S is WindowsXP Pro, Office 2003, and all security and service packs recommended by Microsoft have been installed.
3. From the Microsoft download center, I proceed to download the current Jet 4.0 SP8 for WindowsXP. Then tried to install it and it won't let me. It said that the version being installed is older than my current Jet version.
4. Next, I downloaded the Jet engine SP8 for use with Windows 2003. While trying to install it over my older version, it aborted saying that my O/S does not match the intended version of this update.
5. Under the Control Panel, I tested my ODBC DSN and all is in good order. My backend database is in SQLServer 2000.
6. I disabled Norton Internet Security and re-opened MSAccess and try again, still the same problem.
Any suggestions on how to repair this mal-functioned Jet 4.0 are much appreciated. Thank you for your attention.
PS: Is this problem related to the installation of Norton Internet Security?