Having problems installing the SMTP service on IIS 6.0
Posted on 2006-11-28
Hello, in my Visual Web Developer web site I am building a web page to send a new password to the user when they forget theirs and I'm having a problem Configuring the Application for E-Mail. I followed the below procedure to install and configure a (SMTP) service of Internet Information Services (IIS) on my local server. When I run the application to send the password to the user I get the following error message;
Server Error in '/MyPokerCoach' Application.
Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Unable to relay for firstname.lastname@example.org
The first problem is that when I install and configure a (SMTP) service there is no "Application Server" in my Windows Components. But IIS is there so I skipped #2. The second problem is that there is no Mailroot in my C:\Inetpub
1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
2. In the Components list, click Application Server, and then click Details.
3. In the Subcomponents of Application Server list, click Internet Information Services (IIS), and then click Details.
4. In the Subcomponents of Internet Information Services (IIS) list, select the SMTP Service check box, and then click OK.
5. Click Next. If you are prompted for the Windows CD or the network install path, follow the instructions.
6. Click Finish.
When you install the SMTP service, a default SMTP server configuration is created with a message store in C:\Inetpub\Mailroot
Thanks for response.