Excel mailmerge to Word changing TEXT to DATE format

Posted on 2006-11-29
Last Modified: 2010-05-18
Greetings all,

I have an excel file that I am using as the data source for a mail merge document.  One column is labeled SiteSurvey and it contains a date formatted as TEXT which has data such “11-15 September 2006”  “29 Oct – 4 Nov 2006” and so on.

When I add this field to the word document it only displays as 12:00:00 AM.  I gather that either word or excel is seeing this as a formula date field rather than a text field and is trying to convert it.  I don’t want it to convert anything I just want the straight text ported over.  Considering that it's formatted as TEXT in Excel I suspect Word is the culprit.

I’ve looked through the other solutions here relating to Excel/Word date problems and don’t see anything that relates.  I am using Office 2003/SP2 and everything has been updated/patched/hotfixed appropriately.  

Any help, advice, or ideas would be welcome. I have 130 of these documents to merge/create by yesterday so I'm a little pressed for time - thus the 500 points offered.


Question by:mullinsbc
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
LVL 14

Expert Comment

ID: 18038056

Author Comment

ID: 18038720
Thanks Glenn.  I had seen that earlier in my search but it wasn't helpful.

I just found the answer though and came here to post what I found.

The fix was under the "Use Dynamic Data Exchange."  Its a bit clunky because I now have to confirm a data conversion everytime I want to use that excel file, but at least it works.

LVL 76

Expert Comment

ID: 18038779
I can  only reproduce that problem if the field is unnecessarily formatted with a date switch, like

{ MERGEFIELD "daterange" \@ "hh:mm:ss" }

(Field code display can be toggeled on and off weith Alt + F9)
Free Tool: Subnet Calculator

The subnet calculator helps you design networks by taking an IP address and network mask and returning information such as network, broadcast address, and host range.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.


Author Comment

ID: 18041827
Mine was only { MERGEFIELD "SiteSurvey" } with nothing else.
LVL 76

Expert Comment

ID: 18041873
Didn't see your penultimate post.

DDE was the old default and ODBC is the new default. DDE copies what you see, rather than the underlying values, though simple text should appear the same with either method.

You can ask for a points refund in the Support area.

Author Comment

ID: 18044756
True, text is text is text and it should port over with no problems.  I take some measure of comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one with the issue - Microsoft posted a work around for it so I reckon that the problem has been known for a while.  The down side is - Microsoft posted a work around for it so I reckon that the problem has been known for a while.  :-)


Accepted Solution

DarthMod earned 0 total points
ID: 18077446
PAQd, 500 points refunded.

CS Moderator

Featured Post

On Demand Webinar - Networking for the Cloud Era

This webinar discusses:
-Common barriers companies experience when moving to the cloud
-How SD-WAN changes the way we look at networks
-Best practices customers should employ moving forward with cloud migration
-What happens behind the scenes of SteelConnect’s one-click button

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Do you ever need to create a 20 page Word document for some testing purpose? Are you tired of copying & pasting old boring "lorem ipsum" text over and over again, increasing font size and line space in order to make the document 20+ pages long? Look…
The Selection object is designed for user interaction. It has a Range property, so it can be used in most places that a Range object can. Recorded macros must use the Selection because they are simply copying what the user is doing. A Range prope…
In this video, we show how to convert an image-only PDF file into a PDF Searchable Image file, that is, a file with both the image (typically from scanning) and text, which is created in an automated fashion with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) …
This video walks the viewer through the process of creating Hyperlinks for the web and other documents. Select the "Insert" tab: Click "Hyperlink":  Type "http://" followed by a web address to reference a website or navigate to a document to ref…

739 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question