We help IT Professionals succeed at work.
Get Started

What type of licensing should my software be under?

zumpoof asked
Last Modified: 2010-04-07
I have a web application that I'm releasing and I need help choosing the right licensing terms. Here is a bulleted list of points

- Web-based, written in PERL
- Will be a hosted service, but the source is available for download
- Can be modified, but not distributed w/ modifications
- Free for non-commercial use
- Pay for business use
- Code can be contributed to the project

Watch Question
This problem has been solved!
Unlock 1 Answer and 1 Comment.
See Answer
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE