I am posting this question through this group because I am experiencing it in my MacBook Pro (Intel-based, running MOS X 10.4.8), however I think that the problem that I am having is more of Swat than actually my MAC OS. Maybe I am wrong but here it goes:
Scenario: Trying to install/run swat to better control my Windows shares, since sharing functionality in MAC is too weak (not too many options at all), and editing properly the smb.conf is not exactly my thing. In the other hand I have been using SWAT in Linux (Red Hat and Fedora) for a long time, so I am very familiar with it.
I followed the instructions at the following link (please make sure you read pages 2 and 3) http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/03/18/samba.html?page=1
and I followed a few others as well, but I am still unable to connect to swat.
Problem: When I open safari or firefox and do http://127.0.0.1:901
I get an authentication screen. Using "root" and the correct password for it does nothing. I basically keep on getting the same authentication popup window over and over again.
- Yes I have turned on the root account and double-checked the password.
- Yes I have added "swat 901/tcp" to /etc/services
- Yes the PC is listening on port 901. Again, I am even getting the popup authentication screen.
- My /etc/xinited.d/swat file looks like this:
port = 901
disable = no
only_from = 127.0.0.1
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/swat
log_on_failure += USERID
server_args = -s /etc/smb.conf
server_args = -a
groups = yes
- As you can see as per previous file contents, I even added server_args = -a which is supposed to ignored credentials and just go in, but NO LUCK!
- Yes I have installed devtools and restarted 3 times already.
I am getting desperate and loosing my hear today... :o(
Any pointers or help will be appreciated.