We help IT Professionals succeed at work.
Get Started

PC Anywhere 12 connection problems on W2k/XP

WinkInteractive
on
716 Views
Last Modified: 2008-01-09
Folks:  
We have 2 PC Anywhere computers that connect to each other intermittently.  The host pc is on broadband, Windows 2000, has the TCP/UDP ports opened on the netgear router and forwarded to its internal static IP like it is supposed to.  The host PC uses dyndns.org to report its dynamic IP.   It is running PC Anywhere version 12.
The guest PC is on broadband, windows xp pro, does not have TCP/UDP ports opened on the router it accesses the net through.  It is also running pc anywhere version 12.  Both have been updated to the latest versions via live updated.
The issue is the following:  We can connect to the host PC about 10% of the time.  The other 90% initially connects fine and shows the host pc windows login/password.  Once we enter the user name and password of the host PC, the guest screen slightly changes and shows the windows login box as a slight green color.  The guest pc stops there and eventually drops the connection.  The host PC will login as normal.  
Currently the host pc is running the following host settings:
Connection Info:  TCP/IP, waiting for an incoming connection
Settings:  Launch with windows, run minimized, run as service, will wait for anyone for 2 minutes under both normal and abnormal end of sessions
Security Options:  secure workstation after connection by locking computer, disconnects after 10 minutes, passwords are case sensitive, 3 minute login limit, 3 login attempts
Encryption:  none for now
I’d like to determine why this is occurring so we can set PC anywhere to be used remotely like it is supposed to be able to do.  Thanks!
Comment
Watch Question
This problem has been solved!
Unlock 1 Answer and 1 Comment.
See Answer
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE