I am BRAND NEW to asp/asp.net programming. Eight months ago, my supervisor started working on a replacement intranet site for our current one, using a combination of both asp and asp.net. The home page is asp. Links from there can take you to an application that is either written completely in asp or completely (so it seems so far) in aspx.
I was handed the project last week (I think my supervisor must have thought I was getting bored) after it sat abandoned for almost six months. Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire, I am singed all over. I think I've figured out global.asa. I am still working on web.config. I don't know about global.asax, except it contains a reference to global.asax.vb, which is a class that appears to behave somewhat similarly to global.asa (global.asax contains [<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="manage.Global" %>]).
Some questions I would like answered please:
1) Is global.asa processed in asp.net (can I keep using it or do I need to copy my application and session variables elsewhere)?
2) Can someone provide a little overview on how web.config is used in relationship to other application-wide files (global....)?
3) Is global.asax usually used for anything more than a reference to global.asax.vb?
4) Is global.asax.vb basically the equivelant to global.asa?
5) Can someone sit down with me and teach me asp/aspx in about 20 minutes :-)
I'm sure this is an easy question for a lot of you experts, but I am desperate to get rolling on this ASAP (not to be confused with ASAX). Points awarded as indicated. If question 5 is completed satisfactorily, an additional 5,000 points will be awarded [LOL]