troubleshooting Question

SBS 2003 Can't access Server / DNS issues

Avatar of techspeak
techspeakFlag for Canada asked on
Windows Server 2003
61 Comments1 Solution878 ViewsLast Modified:
I have a new client that had one existing Win SBS 2003 server (DC, AD). I went out a few months ago for the first time and corrected some DNS errors that have not recurred. Everything's been running great - until someone in their office installed a new router. The user disabled DHCP at the server and enabled it at the router. They're not actually using DHCP for workstation addresses as he created static ip addresses for the workstations at the router - and didn't specify a DNS server (internally).

The workstations have been running really slowly - and getting lots of Userenv and Autoenrollment errors.

I went out a couple of days ago to check on the Server status because they've asked me to install Exchange; this is when I first heard of the router and speed issues. I cleaned up a number of workstation permission issues and then added the File Server's IP address ( to the router's DHCP section. (The workstations are using Statis IP as I mentioned, but without the specified DNS entry, they defaulted to the DNS servers of the ISP.) The workstations were then using the Server's IP address.

The users reported that everything ran much faster - and their error logs were clean.

Today, I asked them to restart the server at lunch - and the three workstations; this had not been done since I made the router DNS change. I wanted to get a fresh look at their error logs and to make sure everything was working before starting on Exchange. After that, the workstations could no longer login (Userenv and Autoenrollment again) with no access at all to the Server (permissions errors). The Server reported 7062 errors.

I saw Microsoft's pages on the Server error (218814 & 249868) and went thru and verified that DNS was ok. (The last time I looked, I was no longer getting these messages.) I verified that the workstations were getting the Server's DNS address - which they were - but they couldn't browse the internet with this address, since the Server was inaccessible. If I change the DNS address back to the router, the internet works (of course) - but still no Server.

I am no longer at the client's site. I'll be back in on Sunday. Frankly, I'm a bit stymied.

Any ideas?
Log in to continue reading
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform for $9.99/mo
View membership options
Unlock 1 Answer and 61 Comments.
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
See how we're fighting big data
The Value of Experts Exchange in My Daily IT Life

Experts Exchange (EE) has become my company's go-to resource to get answers. I've used EE to make decisions, solve problems and even save customers. OutagesIO has been a challenging project and... Keep reading >>


Owner of Outages.IO
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Member Since 2016
Join a full scale community that combines the best parts of other tools into one platform.
Unlock 1 Answer and 61 Comments.
View membership options
“All of life is about relationships, and EE has made a virtual community a real community. It lifts everyone's boat.”
William Peck

Member since 2004