Yesterday I made a discovery. I had a 9 MB database with a 6.7 GB Transaction Log. After searching here I did a backup on the one database shrank it and everything was fixed.
So to keep the log from growing out of control again I added a daily scheduled backup but i did it for all my databased and low and behold it locks the server up. I removed a few of the smaller databases and left just the higher priority ones but still nothing. To make matters even better the server manages to lock up before anything can be written to a log. Event Viewer stops 3 seconds before the schedule was supposed to start and the SQL Server logs don't show anything for a full 20 minutes before the scheduled log backup.
I spent the better part of the day yesterday attempting to solve this through trial and error but other than not running the backup I can't find a solution.