Solved

AD Schema - Exchange Protocol Fields

Posted on 2007-03-21
11
352 Views
Last Modified: 2010-03-17
Hi,

 I want to run an LDAP query (via Crystal Reports) against AD to determine what Protocols are enabled (OWA, POP3, IMAP4) for each user. These fields appear on the "Excahnge Features" page. I used the AD schema tool to locate the field that contains this data, and it looks like it falls under msExchProtocolCfgHTTPContainer, but I can't figure out the LDAP field name.

Thanks in advance!
- Louie
0
Comment
Question by:attack3
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 3
  • 3
  • +1
11 Comments
 
LVL 13

Expert Comment

by:strongline
ID: 18766193
it's called ProtocolSettings
0
 
LVL 13

Accepted Solution

by:
strongline earned 250 total points
ID: 18766346
0
 

Author Comment

by:attack3
ID: 18767806
Strongline - thanks!
 I read the article @ the URL you sent. I guess I need to parse the result set, or something. Here's the query I'm runnign from within Crystal (generic values substitued e.g. "x, y, z" for clarity):

Select displayName,  department, ProtocolSettings
from 'LDAP://DC=losangeles,DC=w,DC=x,DC=y, DC=z'
WHERE objectCategory='user'
AND department='aa'
OR department='bb'

 The report pulls the names, etc. beautifully. But the Protocol Settings field keeps returning blank values. I know this is outside the scope of my original question, but can you shed some light?

Thanks!

- Louie
0
Microsoft Certification Exam 74-409

Veeam® is happy to provide the Microsoft community with a study guide prepared by MVP and MCT, Orin Thomas. This guide will take you through each of the exam objectives, helping you to prepare for and pass the examination.

 
LVL 13

Expert Comment

by:strongline
ID: 18767872
I am not entirely sure - but you might have to manually change the protocol setting in ADUC to have this attribute populated.
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:ryangorman
ID: 18767930
The protocolSettings field is difficult because disabling and then enabling a protocol does not return the protocolSettings field to the original contents. The effect is the same but the content differs. An empty protocolSettings attribute indicates that the defaults are in force and that OWA, POP3 and IMAP4 are allowed.

See [1]

[1] http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_22143272.html
0
 
LVL 10

Assisted Solution

by:MATTHEW_L
MATTHEW_L earned 250 total points
ID: 18772224
This may also be hlepful for you.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/Q_22450744.html

You can try selectivly enabling and disabling each protocol so you can see exactly what gets changed in the protocolsettings attribute.  It is essentailly null for all enabled default, or specific keywords for each protocol with either a 0 or a 1 to show enabled / disabled status.
0
 

Author Comment

by:attack3
ID: 18774206
Thanks for all the advice guys!

 I'm going to dig a little deeper. My user account, for instance, only has OWA enabled i.e. POP3 and IMAP4 are disabled. Based on what ryangorman said, I would think that would be a value other than NULL. I'm going to try dumping the data into a text file to see if Crystal is doing something funky. I'll post an update either way.

 Thanks again,
- Louie
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:MATTHEW_L
ID: 18774330
You should expect to see something like the following for that:

HTTP§1§1§§§§§§
IMAP4§0§1§4§ISO-8859-1§0§1§0§0
POP3§0§1§4§ISO-8859-1§0§§§
0
 

Author Comment

by:attack3
ID: 18774395
Matthew,
 Yeah, I saw that referenced in an MS KB article. I going to do a CSVDE dump to confirm the data. I may have to come up with a workaround if I can't get Crystal to play nice.

Thanks!
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:MATTHEW_L
ID: 18774410
0
 

Author Comment

by:attack3
ID: 18775500
All,
 Here's the latest, I found out what the problem is (I think). Crystal uses TSQL to run it's queries. Apparently there's a problem with multivalue returns (I ran across this article - http://www.dbforums.com/t999924.html ). I guess I'm going to have to extract the data as text, and pump it into an SQL table in order to use Crystal (for consistency).

 If anyone has a better idea, I'm open to suggestions.

- Louie
0

Featured Post

Office 365 Training for Admins - 7 Day Trial

Learn how to provision tenants, synchronize on-premise Active Directory, implement Single Sign-On, customize Office deployment, and protect your organization with eDiscovery and DLP policies.  Only from Platform Scholar.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article demonstrates probably the easiest way to configure domain-wide tier isolation within Active Directory. If you do not know tier isolation read https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/security/securing-privileged-access/s…
After seeing many questions for JRNL_WRAP_ERROR for replication failure, I thought it would be useful to write this article.
This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of transferring the five major, necessary Active Directory Roles, commonly referred to as the FSMO roles from a Windows Server 2008 domain controller to a Windows Server 2012 domain controlle…
Attackers love to prey on accounts that have privileges. Reducing privileged accounts and protecting privileged accounts therefore is paramount. Users, groups, and service accounts need to be protected to help protect the entire Active Directory …
Suggested Courses

623 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question