Solved

RS 2005 - An error occurred during local report processing and rendering of my report - problem with report header

Posted on 2007-03-22
5
5,365 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-14
Hi
In Reporting Services 2005, I am getting an error in the Print Layout view of my report.  It renders fine in the Preview screen of the VS Development IDE, but when I click print Layout I get the following error messages:

An error occurred during local report processing.
An error occurred during rendering of the report.
An error occurred during rendering of the report.
Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.


When I deploy my report to the server to see what happens there, the report renders fine initially, but when I export to PDF or try to print, I get the same error messages.  

This report is extremely similar to other reports I built (same parameters, same groups, similar data) and that are working fine. It has one table with six groups.  There are 21 static columns.  I copied this report from another that it was similar to, and the major difference in this report are the expressions I have in many of the row objects to hide rows based on conditional expressions.  The code works great in Preview mode, but when I select Print Layout or try to print, or export to PDF, the above error messages are gotten.  The report only began to work when I deleted the textboxes in my report header.  Its weird.  When I put expressions in textboxes in the report header, the report won’t render in PDF or Print Layout.  When I put a string such as “FOOBAR” in a report header textbox then there is no problem.  I have many other reports that are using the same textboxes with the same expressions in the report header.  

I am using Reporting Services 2005, Version 9.00.2047.00.  WinXP

Thanks

=chita=
0
Comment
Question by:misdevelopers
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 21

Expert Comment

by:Yurich
ID: 18776592
I had something similar some time ago and I can't remember what i did to fix it :(.... As a general suggestion for all report header related problems, I would suggest adding one extra row to your table header and having everything what you have in your page header in there, deleting your page header consequently. You can set whether to show it on the next page or not, you can add pictures (logos) and etc. In fact, I don't thing you can do something in your report header what you can't in your table header. And that's actually what I most likely did in my case to fix my problem...

Cheers,
Yurich
0
 

Author Comment

by:misdevelopers
ID: 18783870
Hey thanks Yurich.

The only thing in my header that doesn't work in the table header are two report variables PageNumber and TotalPages.  These are only allowed to be in the Report Header and Footer.  I have to have these in my report.

I called Microsoft's tech support and they are looking at the problem.  It was a new issue to them.  

I also upgraded VS 2005 to Version 9.00.3042.00 from Version 9.00.2047.00, and this seemed to stop the error from occuring in the development IDE (somewhat... I get an all black screen now when I click on Print Layout.  No error, but I can't see anything.  It does print out absolutely fine though.... header, tables, and all.)  However, I am still getting errors when the report is printed from Report Manager on our server.  

There is a writeup in MSDN Forums that discusses this issue I'm having when on the the 9.00.3042 version.  Here is the link.  https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1273075&SiteID=1
In it a tech from Microsoft says there is a problem with the image renderer in RS 2005 SP2.  They are working on a fix. He offers a workaround to the black background in the report.


If anyone can think of a workaround, fix, hears of a hotfix, please post.   Much thanks.

=chita=
0
 
LVL 21

Accepted Solution

by:
Yurich earned 500 total points
ID: 18993438
Well, my solution is a good workaround, so I think it should be accepted.

Regards,
Yurich
0
 

Author Comment

by:misdevelopers
ID: 19002703
Hello
Yurich, thanks for the workaround.  I finally called Microsoft about this issue because it seemed to be bug and there were other bugs we were coming across as well.  The issue did turn out to be a bug that was fixed with the installation of Service pack 2 for Sql server 2005.  

If applying this Service Pack didn't work, I would have tried your workaround.

Thanks.

=chita=
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

1. Set up your parameter at the report level as usual, check the box Multi-value, and set the Data Type to String 2. Set the Stored Procedure Parameter to varchar(max)  --<---- This part here is the key to it's success Example:    @cst_key var…
Today, still in the boom of Apple, PC's and products, nearly 50% of the computer users use Windows as graphical operating systems. If you are among those users who love windows, but are grappling to keep the system's hard drive optimized, then you s…
How to Install VMware Tools in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 (RHEL 6.4) Step-by-Step Tutorial

726 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question