Drivers for Compaq Presario - downgraded from Vista to XP - Wireless, Modem, Power management etc
Posted on 2007-03-24
I recently purchased a HP Compaq Presario B1900 (B1959TU) which came with Vista Business.
Not being a mad keen Vista fan, I installed XP Pro instead but now I can't get much of the hardware to work at all, and the HP site simply offers an upgrade to Vista for this model.
The plethora of problems as follows ...
- no sign of an internal dialup modem
- no wireless (the Broadcom wlan adaptor is showing, but cannot seem to get a driver to work for it)
- the battery indicator does not show
- power options do not include a tab for setting up hibernate
- in the devices listing there is a bunch of "Other Devices" with question marks including Base System Device, PCI device SM Bus controller, Video controller
- when I plug in a Prolific USB to serial adaptor this will not install by itself - and after installing with the Prolific setup utility, it still does not show as a device or a com port - in fact there is no Ports paragraph in the Device Manager
I am guessing that this hardware just isn't meant to run XP, but also that I am missing a factory setup utility.
I wonder if there is a utility for a closely related model which would work on this one?
Hoping some expert can help.