Access 2003 displaying chinese characters on report

I have a database both the front end .mde file and back end .mdb file were created in Access 2003. Within this database I have a report that contains a memo field occassionally this field will display in chinese (I think) characters. The only way to get round this is to compact and repair the back end datafile. Does anyone have any idea what can be causing this? I have never had any problem like this with Access 2002.

Weird I know, it only happens occasionaly, but, once it does the only way to resolve this is via the compact / repair of the back end, I would really like to resolve what is causing this. Also, when you look at the table the field is perfect, it only does this on reports.

Thanx in advance.

LiMa

LiMaAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

harfangCommented:
Hello LiMa,

This looks like database corruption. As it happens only occasionally, it will be extremely difficult to track and debug...

 • do you manipulate the memo field through code?
 • is the database used by several users at the same time?
 • do you use database replication?
 • what is the record source of your report?
 • does it affect a single report or all reports?

To test the last two points, create a simple report for your table the next time this happens (select the table and choose "insert / auto report"). Do you get the unicode garbage or the text you see in the table?

I know this doesn't help much...

(°v°)
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
LiMaAuthor Commented:
Hi harfang,

 • do you manipulate the memo field through code?
No
 • is the database used by several users at the same time?
Yes, but when this has occured there was only one user
 • do you use database replication?
No
 • what is the record source of your report?
A query based on a number of tables
 • does it affect a single report or all reports?
Any report containing that field

Thanx for the info, it helped immensely, after trying your suggestion I identified the query as the problem - I removed the offending field from the query, created a new query that linked the Totals query (original query) to the table, then added the field to the new query and it now works perfectly. Thanks yet again harfang.

LiMa
0
harfangCommented:
Wow, I'm glad you found a workaround. From your answer, I would have asked for the source of the query and toyed with that, but you didn't need my help doing that!

Good luck with your project!
(°v°)
0
LiMaAuthor Commented:
Thanx again, you certainly pointed me in the right direction.

LiMa
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Access

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.