I am looking for recommendations on what type of RAID system we should implement for this server and (why).
Here is the situation:
1. Windows NT 2000 server - Applications: SQL Server 2005, Great Plains, miscellaneous utilities (our Exchange / Mail is a different server)
2. All SQL server Tables, GP tables and data
3. All user's (50) document folders, they store all their documents on this server.
Here's what I would like to achieve:
1. If we crash, instant or easy restoration of the operating system, all configuration, SQL Server and GreatPlains configurations.
2. Easy restoration of 'data' files.
We already own:
Adaptec 3200s, 2 channel Scsi RAID controller
8 identical 32gig SCSI drives .
My 3rd party network vendors are suggesting 2 Arrays of 4 drives each (32gigs), both would be RAID LEVEL 5.
Channel 1would have the OS in one partition, SQL server and GP in another.
Channel 2 would have 'data' files only in one partition, a second partition for 'other' stuff.
Can / should I 'ghost' or image the operating system and SQL installtion to another drive on our network as a precaution? Configuration does not change from day to day.