• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 971
  • Last Modified:

Errors on W2K Server

I have the following events in my event viewer. The machine is a W2K server, it is not the DC it hosts SQL and some other programs. The environment is a W2K3-SBS-DC/2 W2K3 Servers/XP clients, so it's the only 2K machine.

APPLOG
event id: 61 from: winmgmt
event id: 213 from : LicenseService - Replication of license information failed because the License Logging Service on server \\2K3SERVER1 could not be contacted.

SYSLOG
event id: 7000 from: Service Control Manager
event id: 7001 from: Service Control Manager
event id: 7009 from Servic Control Manager
event id: 7022 from: Service Control Manager
event id: 7023 from: Service Control Manager
event id: 10005 from DCOM

The following Automatic services will not start

Automatic Updates
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Removable Storage
Routing and Remote Access
System Event Notification

The following Manual services will not start

BITS
COM+ Event System
Network Connections

I think that all of these errors are tied to each other but I can't seem to figure it out. Has anyone seen anything similar?

Thanks!




0
msheppard74
Asked:
msheppard74
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
entre-tcvCommented:
Yes I currently have several servers with the same problem.  I noticed in event viewer the succession of errors start soon after my last WSUS update of the Malicious Software Removal tool [kb890830 (march or feburary)].  Still trying to diagnose and research myself.

At first I thought it was a problem with another update other than the malicious software removal tool.  However, I had one server that only install one update (KB890830) and soon after that everything failed and timed out.
0
 
msheppard74Author Commented:
From what I can tell, it all comes back to the COM+ service not starting...I can't get that service to start and it seems like every other service that won't start is dependent on that service
0
 
entre-tcvCommented:
That was my origional thought as well but I dug deeper, every service I checked all had one link... The RPC service.  Unfortunately there is no errors reported about the RPC service and other services that required the RPC service seemed to run ok.

Back to your COM+ idea, do you have an 0x8004d01c error in the COM+.log (C:\%sysdir%)?  If so I saw some information about trying to reinstall the COM+ catalog per kb315296 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315296/en-us).  I have that error entry several times in my log but I have been unable to to try reinstalling the COM+ catalog.  Perhaps this could help.
0
 
msheppard74Author Commented:
The COM+ catalog was corrupt. I had to have it deleted and rebuilt. I was also missing some registry entries that needed to be corrected.

I had Microsoft Support clean it up. Just a tip, subscribe to TechNet, it comes with two free support incidents per yearly subscription. I just used the second one. Both times it's been a life saver, well worth the money, not to mention the additional resources that come with the subscription.
0
 
kodiakbearCommented:
Closed, 500 points refunded.
kb
Experts Exchange Moderator
0

Featured Post

Vote for the Most Valuable Expert

It’s time to recognize experts that go above and beyond with helpful solutions and engagement on site. Choose from the top experts in the Hall of Fame or on the right rail of your favorite topic page. Look for the blue “Nominate” button on their profile to vote.

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now