I'm trying to update my kernel using Genkernel, but get the following error:
sotus ~ # genkernel --bootsplash --no-install --no-clean --menuconfig all
* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.4.6
* Running with options: --bootsplash --no-install --no-clean --menuconfig all
* Linux Kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 for x86...
* The build-host kernel does not appear to have loop device support.
* Please load loop support before running genkernel!
* ERROR: Load loop support!
I understand (I think) that I need to enable loopback device support in the running kernel, but I don't know how to do it. I tried 'modprobe loop' but that didn't work.
My system is:
Linux sotus 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 #4 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 21 11:36:05 GMT 2006 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Can anyone offer any advice please?