Solved

Thread named "Win32 thread" in my app - What is it?

Posted on 2007-04-02
Last Modified: 2013-12-14
Hello everyone,

I have a VC++ application that I've written. I have written the program to use three threads that I have named so that in the OUTPUT window I can view the name of the thread when it exits with its return code.

The problem I have is I keep seeing an unknown thread that exits every 1 minute or so. Like so:
-   The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3448) has exited with code 0 (0x0)
or
-   The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3448) has exited with code 1 (0x1)

Is this just the main window app running?  What are these threads? How can I find them?

Thanks.

-- V
Comment
Question by:VirtueTech
4 Comments

LVL 9

Accepted Solution

by:
Priyesh earned 500 total points
ID: 18840096
If you are connecting to a database, this could be related to some background threads your database client is running. Also think about any other special processing you do in your application using third party controls etc.

Author Comment

by:VirtueTech
ID: 18840530
Yeah I do use CRecordset to connect to a MSSQL DB. Should I worry about memory leaks/corruption with this thread?

LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:Priyesh
ID: 18840638
>Should I worry about memory leaks/corruption with this thread?
Normally no. If you are using this with CDatabase in an ODBC scenario, I have used this extensively in multiple small projects and never seem to have any memory leak related issues. Please feel free to fill in if anybody knows of particular scenarios.
If you are worried about the thread's origin, to be sure you might want to disable the database code if it's easy and check if the thread is still there polling every minute.

Priyesh

LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:DeepuAbrahamK
ID: 18846630
Just comment out your threads and run the app and see whether you are still getting the same results? This way you could isolate the problem.

Best Regards,
DeepuAbrahamK

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Third Party On Screen Keyboard, numeric only. 9 67
Change to event 1 126
Eclipse IDE - Cannot copy/paste from console output 8 305
Thin secure Windows 10 5 107
Jaspersoft Studio is a plugin for Eclipse that lets you create reports from a datasource.  In this article, we'll go over creating a report from a default template and setting up a datasource that connects to your database.
How to install Selenium IDE and loops for quick automated testing. Get Selenium IDE from http://seleniumhq.org Go to that link and select download selenium in the right hand columnThat will then direct you to their download page.From that page s…
The viewer will learn how to use and create new code templates in NetBeans IDE 8.0 for Windows.
This video will show you how to get GIT to work in Eclipse.   It will walk you through how to install the EGit plugin in eclipse and how to checkout an existing repository.

685 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question