Solved

Thread named "Win32 thread" in my app - What is it?

Posted on 2007-04-02
Last Modified: 2013-12-14
Hello everyone,

I have a VC++ application that I've written. I have written the program to use three threads that I have named so that in the OUTPUT window I can view the name of the thread when it exits with its return code.

The problem I have is I keep seeing an unknown thread that exits every 1 minute or so. Like so:
-   The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3448) has exited with code 0 (0x0)
or
-   The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3448) has exited with code 1 (0x1)

Is this just the main window app running?  What are these threads? How can I find them?

Thanks.

-- V
Comment
Question by:VirtueTech
4 Comments

LVL 9

Accepted Solution

by:
Priyesh earned 500 total points
Comment Utility
If you are connecting to a database, this could be related to some background threads your database client is running. Also think about any other special processing you do in your application using third party controls etc.

Author Comment

by:VirtueTech
Comment Utility
Yeah I do use CRecordset to connect to a MSSQL DB. Should I worry about memory leaks/corruption with this thread?

LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:Priyesh
Comment Utility
>Should I worry about memory leaks/corruption with this thread?
Normally no. If you are using this with CDatabase in an ODBC scenario, I have used this extensively in multiple small projects and never seem to have any memory leak related issues. Please feel free to fill in if anybody knows of particular scenarios.
If you are worried about the thread's origin, to be sure you might want to disable the database code if it's easy and check if the thread is still there polling every minute.

Priyesh

LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:DeepuAbrahamK
Comment Utility
Just comment out your threads and run the app and see whether you are still getting the same results? This way you could isolate the problem.

Best Regards,
DeepuAbrahamK

Featured Post

How to run any project with ease

Manage projects of all sizes how you want. Great for personal to-do lists, project milestones, team priorities and launch plans.
- Combine task lists, docs, spreadsheets, and chat in one
- View and edit from mobile/offline
- Cut down on emails

Join & Write a Comment

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
sum28 challenge 31 95
wordappend challenge 8 83
Eclipse Neon and jdk 1.8.0 11 63
Making an alias 7 51
In this article, I'll describe -- and show pictures of -- some of the significant additions that have been made available to programmers in the MFC Feature Pack for Visual C++ 2008.  These same feature are in the MFC libraries that come with Visual …
Introduction: Load and Save to file, Document-View interaction inside the SDI. Continuing from the second article about sudoku.   Open the project in visual studio. From the class view select CSudokuDoc and double click to open the header …
The viewer will learn how to use and create keystrokes in Netbeans IDE 8.0 for Windows.
The viewer will learn how to use and create new code templates in NetBeans IDE 8.0 for Windows.

771 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

9 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now