• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 311
  • Last Modified:

Strange Error with PDF and Download Redirect Script

Hi,

I've got some trouble on my download redirect script. On some places it works fine but on other workstations I get an error.

Ok, here is what the script does (C#):
Response.Clear();
Response.Buffer = true;
Response.Expires = 0;
Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", strDisposition + " ;filename=" + Server.UrlEncode(strFileName + "." + strFileExt));
Response.ContentType = strMimeType;
Response.WriteFile(objFile.FullName);
Response.Flush();
Response.End();

Where:
- strDisposition is either "inline" or "attachment", but in the case of my PDF files it is "attachment" to force the user to download the file instead of opening the PDF with the Browser Plug-In.
- strFileName is the filename with all special characters removed and strFileExt is the extension of the file (.pdf)
- strMimeType is the ContentType of the document, in my problem case: "application/pdf"
- objFile.FullName is the full absolut physical path on the server (which has the right permissions to be accessed)

Well as I already mentioned, on some workstation it works, I don't think it is an Acrobat problem (it is working with Acrobat 7 and 8), it is working on some workstations with IE6 and IE7. But actually in Firefox it is working all the time (no problems). The file is being downloaded, but when we open it with the default application (Acrobat) we get an error telling us that there has been an error while opening the document, the file could not be found.
A workaround is to save the file to the desktop (or somewhere else) and then opening it with a double click.

I really can't figure out where the problem is ... does anybody has a clue?
0
SiraX
Asked:
SiraX
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
SiraXAuthor Commented:
Here are some more information related to the problem - (not) working combinations:
IE: Internet Explorer, AR: Acrobat Reader, AP: Acrobat Professional
1. Windows XP (corp network), IE6, AP7 -> not working
2. Windows XP (corp network), IE6, AR7 -> not working
3. Windows XP (corp network), IE6, AR7 -> not working
4. Server 2003 Std, IE7 (corp network), AR5 -> working
5. Windows XP (corp network), IE7, AR8 -> working
6. Windows Vista (home), IE7, AR8 -> working

And as already said, with Firefox it is working all the time ...

Another hint, I found right now in forums and newsgroups (actually PHP related) that IE6 with Acrobat seems to have problems with the cache ... and I have implemented an OutputCache in my download redirect script. Can someone confirm this as the error?
0
 
DreamMasterCommented:
Things I have found could cause similar problems:

- Acrobat Reader was installed but for some reason the web part of it doesn't work properly. It can never open a document in the browser in other words..

- Caching will sometimes destroy your ability to open a pdf file in the browser, like you said it is a known problem, but one that is hard to reproduce

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Max.
0
 
SiraXAuthor Commented:
Hi there,
Ok, I found the problem now ... I could reproduce the problem on a testing machine with IE6, after upgrading to IE7 it worked fine.

The problem was indeed the OutputCache in combination with Internet Explorer 6! So if other people have the same problem, think about removing caching options.

Best regards,
David
0
 
DreamMasterCommented:
Glad to have been helpful :)

Regards,
Max.
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now