Very strage problem... I can ping anything on our local network by IP address, but not by name. Interestingly, I can ping by name foreign websites (such as google.com) without a problem. Web browsing works fine. Other computers on our network have exactly the same DNS settings and can ping a local computer just fine. ipconfig /all on my computer shows the same settings (aside from my IP address) as other computers which work fine. Because of this inability to resolve names, I can't login to my domain and my login scripts don't get executed.
I have never seen a problem like this before. Normally, it's a simple DNS issue, but my DNS entries are correct. I can ping our domain controller at 192.168.1.10 but not by name even though IT is a DNS server and its address is in my DNS list.
All my firewalls are off, and no anti-virus is loaded. The DNS client service is running.
This all started happening after installing IE7, visio pro 2003, and getting the latest XP updates--which were only a few since I update regularly I have tried rolling back to IE6 and undoing all updates to no avail.