We have an old home-grown CGI application that has been running with no problem for many years. I am in the process of reinstalling it on a new server. The old one is running windows 2000 server, the new one is 2003 server.
Unfortunately, I've never worked with CGI before. This CGI is an EXE file. When I run it in a cmd window I can see the HTML output. When it is referenced in a URL it generates a 403 error. I've set up the folder security as best as I know how (the non-CGI stuff displays OK). The IIS log just shows the URL and the 403 error so that didn't help any. I tried to capture the output HTML from running the CGI and load that into the browser directly but that hung up the browser (IE6).
Since I don't really understand CGI yet, I'm looking for some debugging suggestions. Also, I did a filemon and the only thing that looked like a possible problem was that it was looking for some kind of "manifest" file that it couldn't find. Not sure if that is of any significance. I tried to look up how manifest relates to CGI but I didn't get anywhere.