We have Citrix Presentation Server 4 (recently replacing xp). We have a remote user with a printer attached to her PC. I have a policy created for her only that allows autocreation of her printers. While she is logged on, I can see her printer and print to it from Windows. However...
She connects to our Universe server via Telnet client. From there she types a print command to send a job to the printer. The print job is initiated from Universe to the shared printer on the Citrix server, which is tied to her local printer... in South Africa. We have no VPN between our offices.
The printer that is auto restored goes away when the user logs out. In XP it stayed there after we changed the description. I was able to use a test account on a local PC here with a similar model printer. I did the following:
1. Created an Autocreate policy for my test user
2. Logged in as my test user
3. Changed the name and description of the new autocreated printer
4. Shared the printer (printer name same as Universe printer name - a definate requirement)
5. Granted my remote user permissions to the printer (She gets an 'Access is denied' error unless I do this)
6. Changed the driver to the one Universe is expecting (Epson FX-100)
7. Logged out (my test printer remained connected)
8. Had my remote user connect
9. Changed the printer's port to the one created when she connected Success!
10. Had her log out, then back in... The port was different. I have to change the port each time she connects. NOT an optimal solution.
I need her to be able to print to the printer when she logs in without any interaction.