I need a solution
Lost root password Fedora Core 6
Hello, I am running Fedora Core 6, and I have forgotten the root password!
I no NOTHING about linux, so please anyone who answers give me "step by step" instructions!
Thank you so much
Hi, that is a very common mistake among new linux users... In fact, I did that myself when I first installed SuSE 6.4...
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to regain access to your root password:
Put the #1 Fedora CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
Restart the computer.
At the installation boot prompt(the "boot:"), type "linux rescue" and press enter.
Once you have the console prompt( that is, [xxx@xxx ~]$ ) type "passwd root" and press enter.
Hopefully, you can enter a new password here, and press enter.
Once done, you remove the CD-ROM, reboot, and log in as root with your new password...
Cheesy, you got me on the right track, just a few changes.
1. Put the #1 Fedora CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Press "F5"
4. At the installation boot prompt(the "boot:"), type "linux rescue" and press enter.
5. do a "chroot /mnt/sysimage" at the command prompt
6. Once you have the console prompt( that is, [xxx@xxx ~]$ ) type "passwd root" and press enter.
7. Once done, you remove the CD-ROM, reboot, and log in as root with your new password...
Thanks for your help!
glad i could help.
thanks for reiterating my instructions; i've never used fedora core myself, but I'm sure they will be helpful to somebody else in your situation.
Be seen. Boost your question’s priority for more expert views and faster solutions
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
How it Works
Plans and Pricing
Become an Expert
Who We Are
Join Our Team
Hall of Fame
Experts Exchange, LLC.
All rights reserved. Covered by US Patent.