Thread Safe GUI, Example in vb.net 2005

I would like an example program that demonstrates the usage of threads to create a program that can update, a statusbarlabel from a different thread.
LVL 2
MasterThaiAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Jason EvansSenior Software DeveloperCommented:
Hi there.

I did the same thing for an app I wrote once, I needed a progress bar to display the status of a task which was running in another thread. To achieve this, I used the .NET 2.0 component called BackgroundWorker. Here are a couple of links to get you going:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.componentmodel.backgroundworker.aspx
http://www.codeguru.com/columns/vb/article.php/c10755/

Basically the BackgroundWorker is a control that allows you to perform tasks in another thread of execution, whilst your UI carries on responding to user events. Plus the backgroundworker can talk to controls on the form, eg update the value of a progress bar.

Try the links above to get you started, hope this helps.
Jas.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
MasterThaiAuthor Commented:
I have tried the backgroundworker thread to no avail, I can update most controls, because they allow to be p/invoked I just can't figure out how to update the statusbar
MasterThaiAuthor Commented:
Ok well, i figured it out, instead of invoking the control itself i invoked the form and that allowed me to update it.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
.NET Programming

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.