We have an older server doing nothing. We use Netgear SSL 312 for remote connection so people can work offsite. Currently there is a dedicated pc for each user so when Bob logs in on the Netgear SSL 312, he types in his pc name (bob.mydomain.com) and he logs into his pc.
I am considering installing multiple instances of virtual pc (or VMWare) on this older server. I assume multiple instances of virtual pc can be running on this server. Each virtual pc would be running Windows XP Pro.
My goal is to have multiple people logging in on this server.
- What operating system should be loaded on this server so it can best host the virtual pc? Could I install Windows 2000 server or must Windows 2003 server be installed?
- How much RAM should be in the server?
- What web site(s) may give me more info?
- I have to plan a budget for this. Where can I find reasonable prices for Virtual pc (or VMware)?
- Which one is best? (Virtual pc or VMware)?