I have a DG834 on my ADSL connection with Telefonica in Spain and was hoping there is somebody out there who can help me.
I was on there basic package which was a dynamic ip which basically just auto connected with a username and password - straight forward!
I have since requested a Static IP address from them as i need to host my own email, they have sent me the IP address and Subnet Mask, but I am really struggling to get it working. I have set hundereds of these up in the UK, i just can't do it in Spain, and I don't speak spanish and Telefonica support will only speak in spanish, so if there is anybody out there who can help, here are my questions:
1. is a default gateway required or is this assigned automatically
2. Is a username required for the static IP address package?
3. What is the is the Protocol Encapsulation required, PPPoA or PPPoE or RFC 1483 – something else?
4. What is the Multiplexing Method VC or LLC Based? What are the VPI (Virtual Path Identifier) & VCI – (Virtual Channel Identifier)
5. What are the Public DNS Server Addresses?
6. What is the SMTP Server Address for outbound mail, does this require authentication? E.g. mail.telefonica.es
7. I seem to have been given quite a large block of IPs and a strange subnet mask, Can i use all the addresses?
If i have missed anything else that may be considered necessary for the setup please let me know
Thanks in advance!