Introduced '03 Standard and '03 Standard R2 Domain Controller into our network

I recently introduced a Windows 2003 domain controller on to our network. Let's pretend that my 2000 domain controller I retired was named "dc2000", and my 2003 domain controllers I introduced into my network are called; "2003dc1" and "2003dc2". Before introducing the 2003 domain controller(s) on to my network I followed this kb to take the proper steps in introducing a '03 DC into a 2000 native mode network: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325379. I transferred all FSMO roles from the "2000dc" DC  to the new "2003dc1" server. I moved dns, and dhcp to "2003dc1". I de-promoted the "2000dc" from being a DC. I removed it from the network, and re-imaged it with Windows Server 2003 R2. I ran an adprep.exe /forestprep to prepare the domain controller for the upgrade.  I ran it on the server that is the schema operations manager with the Adprep tool that comes on the R2 product CD in the \Cmpnents\r2\adprep directory. After this was complete I promoted "2003dc2" to a DC.

Now that I have established the history of how I got to this point I am getting ready to raise the Forest and Domain Functional level to Windows 2003. I am not getting any relevant errors in event viewer on my DC's. I was doing some research to look for any possible issues before I raise the Domain and Forest Functional levels. I noticed a couple of things that I wanted to verify I could delete or edit with the correct domain controller.
In ASDI edit when I right click on my domain and then left click on properties and  then scroll down in my attribute editor, I see that my "domainreplica" is being listed as my old 2000 DC named "2000dc". I believe this should be the "2003dc1" server. Can I edit this to the "2003dc1" server or what is your recommendation? In Active Directory Domain and Trusts when I scroll down to "Sites", "Services", and "Netservices" I see that the "2003DC1" is listed by IP address. The "2000DC" is listed by name in "Netservices" as well. I want to verify that I can simply delete the "2000dc" entry. I also would like to know if this is normal that the old 2000 server was left in these places. If it is not normal please give me a suggestion why this could have not been removed.

Thanks in advance.
NatldiagAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

stronglineCommented:
follow  support.microsoft.com/kb/216498 to see if you have anything to delete about 2000dc. don't remove anything else.

 if all event logs are clean, and repadmin /showrepl * is clean, I won't worry too much.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Netman66Commented:
First thing:  Did you make your first 2003 server a Global Catalog?

Next, when you DCPROMO the server you need to go into AD Sites and Services and delete the old server from there.

Next, remove all entries from DNS (Forward and Reverse zones) for the old servername.

Lastly, it may be necessary to do a Metadata cleanup if the old DC wasn't cleanly DCPROMO'd.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/en-us

BTW: You didn't need to run Adprep after the first 2003 server was added.  It needed to be run on the old 2000 DC before you added it.  
0
Netman66Commented:
Sorry, I think I misread something.  You used the R2 Adprep - which is fine if your original 2003 DC was not an R2 build.

0
NatldiagAuthor Commented:
I followed the kb article; "support.microsoft.com/kb/216498", and made sure that everything was successful when I ran the repadmin /showrepl command. When attempting a metadata cleanup I verified that the retired doman controller was not present. Since I am content that the old domain controller was removed completely, I went ahead and raised my domain and forest functional level. Thank you both for the feedback.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Server OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.