I have 2 Windows Small Business 2003 R2 Servers running at different customers.
They both are experiencing the same problem which is the following;
- These servers do not sent the daily performance reports, when checking on the server we get the errormessage that the page can not be displayed
* I checked the monitoring service, it's running.
* Checked the logon (adminpass was changed, this was working ok, no events about that)
When i check the eventlog i get the following error event:
=======[Start EventLog dump]====================
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ServerStatusReports
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Server Status Report:
Error Message: The system cannot find the file specified.
Stack Trace: at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServic
licyType type, AUInstallationOption& pInstallationOption, Int32& piInstallationDay, Int32& piInstallationHour)
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
=======[End EventLog dump]====================
As shown in the event log the problem is connected with windows update services, when i check the update services status in the servermanagement i get the following message:
followed by the page http://download.2r.nl/screenshot/error3.jpg
At the moment i'm quite clueless as of what is causing these problems.
I checked these settings/conditions
- All files are at the locations where they are supposed to be.
- All DLL files are registered
- All security settings are as they should be (Permissions are set according to the manuals i was able to find)
- All services are running.
- Rebooted the servers several times
- Re-installed Small business components
The only thing changed on both servers is: Automatic update in domain policy is set to disabled, this is due to major performance lost on client computers (svchost.exe constant @ 100% CPU usage).
This modification was prior to the errors and after resetting these modifications to the original state the problem was still there.