We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

BSOD on Vista when accessing network shares.

663 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-17
Hi, I am running Windows Vista Ultimate edition on a fairly new ASUS W7J laptop (the laptop came with Vista Home Premium) and I am getting several BSOD restarts every week. 95% of the time I get the BSOD is when I am accessing a mapped network drive, or just accessing files on a server through windows explorer using UNC. The other 5% of the time it will just happen at random times. The BSOD message does not help me much.. it just says the usual thing about "if you have recently updated driver then unistall it..." I know when a BSOD occurs, log files get stored somewhere which are meant to helpful in troublshooting the problem? Where are these log files stored, and once located, are they in a format that I could understand, or is other software required to read them? Also thought I might mention, I don't log onto the domain, I log onto the laptop itself, and just access the network shares with my domain credentials. Thinking this might be causing the problem (ya never know with Vista) I tried logging out and logging into the domain... immediately got BSOD. Thanks in advance.
Comment
Watch Question

CERTIFIED EXPERT
Most Valuable Expert 2015

Commented:
Is there a stop errorcode on the BSOD?

Author

Commented:
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x8014B000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Most Valuable Expert 2015
Commented:
This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION

Author

Commented:
I ran the memory test through 5 passes and each test came out OK. I haven't pulled a laptop apart before, so will have to look into how to do that. Thanks for the response.

Gain unlimited access to on-demand training courses with an Experts Exchange subscription.

Get Access
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Empower Your Career
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE

Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Unlock the solution to this question.
Join our community and discover your potential

Experts Exchange is the only place where you can interact directly with leading experts in the technology field. Become a member today and access the collective knowledge of thousands of technology experts.

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.