?
Solved

I need to change the user variables tmp and temp on an installation image, for a thin client (HP t5720)

Posted on 2007-07-19
Medium Priority
?
Last Modified: 2010-08-05
I need to change the user variables tmp and temp on an installation image, for a thin client (HP t5720), from the default location on the ramdrive z:\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\ folder to the c: drive, FOR ALL USERS  

T.I.AV
Comment
Question by:ItRunner
9 Comments

LVL 10

Assisted Solution

by:abraham808
abraham808 earned 800 total points
ID: 19524929
Right Click My Computer
Go to Advanced
Go to Environment Variables
Go down to TEMP and TMP

Author Comment

by:ItRunner
ID: 19524976
>abraham808:
>
>Right Click My Computer
>Go to Advanced
>Go to Environment Variables
>Go down to TEMP and TMP

This will not work FOR ALL USERS, just the current user.

T.AW

LVL 31

Accepted Solution

by:
captain earned 1200 total points
ID: 19525032
I believe you can do this in the systems variables, one window down....

Simply create the Temp and Tmp keys there.

Otherwise work with user profiles instead, much easier to maintain in the long run when change is needed.

hth
VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

Author Comment

ID: 19525089
>Simply create the Temp and Tmp keys there.

They are there by default (c:\windows\temp), and it does'nt help me

>Otherwise work with user profiles instead, much easier to maintain in the long run when change is needed.
       OK, could you give me some hints, how to do this?

T.I.AW

LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 19525102
You can create it for 1 user and copy that profile for ALL USers

Author Comment

ID: 19525140
>abraham808:
     >You can create it for 1 user and copy that profile for ALL USers

Like:
copy c:\documents and settings\user1\. c:\documents and settings\all users\  /s /y

??

LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 19525367
Login as a local account create the profile that you want.
Logoff
Login in as Administrator
Right Click My Computer
Go to Advanced
User Profiles
Click Copy to
Click Browse
Go to c:\Documents and Settings\Default User

LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:captain
ID: 19525556
Not sure if you need to go down profile and login script route, as the default setting on XP is what you describe as your solution:
Variable = TEMP
Variable Value= %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

Am I missing something?

Author Comment

ID: 19526008
abraham808, I'll give it a try tomorrow, it might be working in Windows XP Embedded.

>captainreiss:
>Not sure if you need to go down profile and login script route, as the default setting on XP >is what >you describe as your solution:
>Variable = TEMP
>Variable Value= %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

>Am I missing something?

By design the HP t5720 (running Windows XP Embedded), creates a ramdrive z: (max. 64 Mb), during boottime, containing z:\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\ for:
  Browser Web page cache
  Browser history
  Browser cookies
  Browser cache
  Temporary Internet files
  Print spooling
  User/system temporary files

Featured Post

[Webinar On Demand] Database Backup and Recovery

Does your company store data on premises, off site, in the cloud, or a combination of these? If you answered “yes”, you need a data backup recovery plan that fits each and every platform. Watch now as as Percona teaches us how to build agile data backup recovery plan.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

If you have done a reformat of your hard drive and proceeded to do a successful Windows XP installation, you may notice that a choice between two operating systems when you start up the machine. Here is how to get rid of this: Click Start Clic…
Monitor input from a computer is usually nothing special.  In this instance it prevented anyone from using the computer.  This was a preconfiguration that didn't work.
The viewer will learn how to successfully create a multiboot device using the SARDU utility on Windows 7. Start the SARDU utility: Change the image directory to wherever you store your ISOs, this will prevent you from having 2 copies of an ISO wit…
The viewer will learn how to successfully download and install the SARDU utility on Windows 7, without downloading adware.
Suggested Courses

621 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question