I am having an internet connection problem with Windows XP SP2. The computer is on a small network and can access all of the local network resources without any problem. I can transfer files to and from a NAS unit, I can ping other computers sucessfully, and I can ping the router without any problem. However, I can't reach anything outside the network. IE can't find websites and I can't ping an external server's IP address. I have tried the following with no success:
- Uninstalled the Internet Gateway Decive Discovery and Control Client (because the computer was automatically trying to use a shared internet connection)
- Checked the hosts file to see if there was anything out of the ordinary (nothing unusual)
- Checked the TCP / IP settings on my wireless network adapater to make sure that the computer is set up to automatically receive an IP address like all of the other machines on the network
- Checked to make sure that the computer is being assigned an IP address (it is, 192.168.1.103)
- Tried disabling the wireless card and using an ethernet connection instead
The computer is a brand new Dell dimension E520. I purchase several of the machines at the same time and this is the only one giving me trouble. I'm totally stumped. Any ideas?