troubleshooting Question

Outlook 2007 EXTREMELY slow performance downloading mail/attachments from exchange 2007 server

Avatar of Threxx
Threxx asked on
6 Comments1 Solution17274 ViewsLast Modified:
So we're on Exchange 2007 with about 40 Outlook 2003 clients working fine and dandy.  But recently in the past week or so I've added two Office 2007 installations including, of course, Outlook 2007.

On one of the installs the guy had about a 4 gig mail box and it was downloading at a rate so incredibly slow (over a perfectly functional 100mbps ethernet connection) that it was going to take about a full WEEK for his PC to download all of his mail!

(You can see my unanswered thread about it here, though just for reference since this thread you're reading now has more up to date info )

My temporary fix since I have been so overloaded has been to just take him off cached mode.

This seems to work fine for opening emails, but small attachments (under 50k) take 10-15 seconds to open, and if it's in the 1-5 megabyte range, you might as well go take a bathroom break and read a magazine.  It's ridiculously slow.  Several minutes at a minimum.  In other words it's moving just as slowly as it was when I was trying to download and cache his email from the server to an OST file (like all of my 2003 outlook clients are setup).

If I try to close outlook BEFORE it downloads the full file I get the message Event ID 5000 officelifeboathang outlook.exe blablabla ntdll.dll

I did some google searching on this and there's hardly any info about it.  I found some people mentioning Mccafe AV, but we have symantec corporate installed here.  I found some brief mentions of removing windows desktop search and running C:\windows\system32\fixmapi.exe also.  I tried this on one of the machines in various capacities with no luck until I completely uninstalled office 2007 AND windows desktop search, ran fixmapi, and then reinstalled office 2007.

That did the trick on one of the machines (or at least appears to have, for now).  But on this second machine it's not.

And I'm still left unsatisfied because I really have no idea why what I did on the first machine worked... it was just the only hope I had looking around the MS support forums and elsewhere on google.  This site in particular has, so far, no mention of officelifeboathang as an error, despite this error apparently being seen as early back as the 2nd beta version of Outlook 07.  I've also learned it can apparently be seen in other office apps like access and excel, so I'm beginning to think it might be a sorta generic error that's just saying "this is taking a while"...

Sorry for the rambling but at this point I'm at a loss for what might be valuable info and what isn't... : (
Join the community to see this answer!
Join our exclusive community to see this answer & millions of others.
Unlock 1 Answer and 6 Comments.
Join the Community
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 1 Answer and 6 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros