When I click on a hyperlink in an application like Thunderbird or a simple text editor like Textpad then the URL takes around 55secs to open in the web browser.
If I put the URL in Word 2003 and Ctrl click on it. Then it appears within 2 secs.
The same URL as a shortcut in the desktop opens within 2 secs in the web browser.
Can someone help me fix this?
Running Windows 2000 SP4 1GHz 1GB RAM on a LAN with a 2Mb ADSL connection.
Machine is kept up to date with security patches and AV software is running constantly.
I've tried changing the default browser from IE6 to FireFox and vise versa and the same thing happens.
I've disabled the AV software with no difference.
I've tried re-registering the urlmon.dll but no difference.
Whilst I'm waiting for the URL to appear in a browser, the app that launched it appears to be unresponsive and does not redraw its own window.
Then after 55secs from clicking on the link the IE6 window appears but its contents is blank and then 20secs later it fills in with the page contents.
One app I use urlsnooper has two ways to launch a URL displayed in it and behold, one way take the long timer and the other way takes 2secs.
Its almost as if the internal communication between apps is getting terribly delayed.