I totally hosed Sharepoint Services
Posted on 2007-07-24
I'm totally of of ideas and I need you help.
Long story short, I hosed a perfectly good Sharepoint Services 3.0 server by promoting it to a domain controller. Before I began my "hack and slash" repair, I stopped the SQL service and coppied all of the SQL databases to another location.
To "fix" this problem I DCPROMO'ed the server back to a member server, uninstalled SQL and Sharepoint, and did repair installs on .NET 2.0 and 3.0. I then reinstalled Sharepoint and used the included SQL database engine. This fresh install of Sharepoint runs just fine. I can connect to the basic "starter" site and teh admin web sites. My problem is restoring the origional config and content databases and sites.
I tried stopping the SQL service (<servername>\microsoft##ssee) and copying the origional database in place and restarting SQL. Yes, I coppied all of them - master, model, sharepoint_config, wss_content... etc. SQL started fine but I can no longer connect to the user or admin sites. I just get "cannot connect to config database." and my SQL error log starts to fill with "Login failed for user nt authority\netowrk service".
I've tried everything I can think of to get the old databases working. It appears from other logs that besides the login errors, the Sharepoint site is looking for the fresh install databases. I'm a SQL Server DBA by trade but I don't have much experience with Sharepoint. I really need to get the origional config and content databases running so I can get the origional sites back.