I've just done a repair install on my neighbour's ailing XP Home SP1a PC - after adding 512MB of RAM to the original 256MB.
This has been used by young children with admin privileges. :o( So it was a bit of a mess.
After the repair I installed SP2 from a CD.
I updated and run AVG AV, Spybot, Ad-Aware and AVG antispyware. All junk found removed.
I've run sfc, Windows cleanup, and Norton Windoctor (from CD).
I've run chkdsk.
Now I can't install any more Windows updates.
IE6 launches and opens the Windows Update site. IE6 then stops responding. If I send a report, you guessed it - it tells me to do a Windows update.
I can go to any other URLs no problem.
I tried installing IE7 from the downloaded exe file but that wasn't successful. After a reboot it reported failure to install.
Tried disabling all nonessential using msconfig.
If MS's site is not broken, I'm assuming that there's still some malware lurking, so I'm currently running Kaspersky's online scan. Couldn't get Trend Micro's Add-on to install.
My next plan is to install Norton Systemworks 2003 and see if that's more successful. Plan B is a clean install.
If anyone has any other ideas, they'd be gratefully received.