I am having problems with SMS 2003. I keep receiving a critical error for the process SMS_DISCOVERY_DATA_MANAGER
Message ID: 2636
Process ID: 1516
Thread ID: 5848
SMS Discovery Data Manager failed to process the discovery data record (DDR) "", because it cannot update the data source.
Possible cause: On a Primary site, it is probably a SQL Server problem.
1. Review the immediately preceding status messages from this component about SQL Server errors.
2. Verify that this computer can reach the SQL Server computer.
3. Verify that SQL Server services are running.
4. Verify that SMS can access the SMS site database.
5. Verify that the SMS site database, transaction log, and tempdb are not full.
6. Verify that there are at least 50 SQL Server user connections, plus 5 for each SMS Administrator console.
If the problem persists, check the SQL Server error logs.
Possible cause: On a secondary site, SMS Discovery Data Manager probably cannot write to a file on the site server, so check for low disk space on the site server.
Solution: Make more space available on the site server.
I have checked all these things it recommends and still nothing changes. I can see however it seems that there is a machine that has been decommissioned that keeps refreshing with the active clients. This machine is not in an OU that is being discovered and should not be there. I have found record of it in the Site Database tables and removed it using SQL Enterprise manager, but it keeps reappearing. I thought it might be a DNS issue, so i looked at that and it still appears. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.
My site setup is SMS 2003 w/ SP2 on Windows Server 2003 w/ SP1