Windows Server 2003 and XP - License (CAL) to add non-domain users to the domain.

If I am in an enviroment where about 100 computers are on the corporate domain, and about 1000 clients are not on the corporate domain.  

Would I have to purchase CAL's from Microsoft to add the 1000 other computers to the existing domain?  Can you provide a link to the MS site?

Everything is XP and 2003 Server.

Thanks a lot,
Who is Participating?
banks1850Connect With a Mentor Commented:
Inverted, SMS and MOM have nothing to do with it, if they authenticate to a domain then they requre a CAL.  And as to your first question, no those licenses aren't the same as CALs (you need both).  

Now if you are talking about just keeping them in a workgroup with the same name as the domain, that is something else (only when you are using server resources do you need a CAL, this includes domain authentication).  But if you just want to be on the same logical grouping when you open my network places, and you aren't authenticating to a server then no, you don't need cals.  I can't think of a good reason for that though, as even if you want to share files from your server you still need to authenticate to it, which requres a CAL.  I guess you could build a LINUX machine and use SMB... (that is a whole different can of worms).
Depending on what Licensing mode you use (User or Device)  If you only have 500 people accessing those 1000 machines, then use User, if you have 1000 machines but 3000 employees that might access them, then use Device, get the gist?  With 1000 devices that could be accessing the domain, you should look at volume licensing.  It is much less expensive then individual cals at that amount.  See the microsoft licensing site here:
inverted_2000Author Commented:
All of the PCs come with XP on them from a reseller of HP and IBM.  Doesn't that image license allow a connection to a domain, without having to purchase additional licenses?
Cloud Class® Course: CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech

This course will help prep you to earn the CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician certification showing that you have the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in installing, managing, and troubleshooting IT systems in medical and clinical settings.

inverted_2000Author Commented:
Might I add...we would not be using SMS or MOM, file sharing across subnets, etc...just a name change in on the computers.
inverted_2000Author Commented:
SMS and MOM do have to do with it because I was using that as an example for server services.  

You did answer the question though...    "you need a CAL, this includes domain authentication"

That's what I was looking for.  I didn't know if they considered that a service because of how breif the encounter with the client to server is.  

Does XP have a CAL to use to make a connection to my servers?  All of our servers are installed with 2003 as per device so there is no limit on the amount of connections they can accept.

Would we have to go to MS and simply agree to pay them more because the remote computers are now needing to authenticate with the domain even if the servers licening mode is Per Device?

If you can answer that I'll be happy as a clam.

Put it this way.  When you put a server on the domain, that server no longer checks it's own licensing for authentication, it checks the domain's licenses.  

The reason why I said SMS and MOM have nothing to do with it regards the above statement.  If the service requires authentication then it requires a CAL.  That means, any server on the domain will forward authentication to the Active Directory server, whether it be for login or for file access...etc.  What I meant by having nothing to do with it was that they both would defer to the domain for authentication anyway.

This statement is incorrect:
"All of our servers are installed with 2003 as per device so there is no limit on the amount of connections they can accept."

Once those servers are domain members, they don't use their local license service anymore, they defer to the domain.  The number of connections (authenticated connections) is based on CALS for the domain, not what each server has for licenses.
inverted_2000Author Commented:

So now I hit up Start / Administrative Tools / Licensing to view Domain Licenses
instead of what is under the Control Pannel.

Oh my...looks like my company might need to do a little explaining to MS )o:

Can't I turn my boss in for this to MS.  He sux anyway.

Thanks a ton for clearing that all up for me.

It all makes sense now.

LOL!  Good luck with that! Glad I could help.  :)
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.