Internet Explorer asks user to authenticate? (ISA 2006)
Posted on 2007-08-03
After a clean install of ISA 2006 on a network that had ISA 2004 previously, whenever we try to access a website IE asks the user to authenticate, and apparently it does not authenticate the user, since the authentication box just reappears after inserted the password in the format domain\user.
Here is a high level outline of the configuration:
- ISA has two nicks, one for the internal network (direct contact with DNS, AD and Clients), and another for the DMZ, where it routes to the Internet.
- ISA was a clean install, on the same physical machine where ISA 2004 was (format, clean install)
- ISA 2006 is physically different from the installation of 2004, 2004 was completely on the DMZ, 2006 connects to both the DMZ and the Internal network.
- The previous installation publicized the proxy address for IE through AD Policies
- The address that clients use for the proxy change since now it is directly reachable from their network.
- I've set up at this stage only a simple rule that allows HTTP,HTTPS access from internal to external (DMZ is considered external) for all users.
What could be causing the authentication box in IE when users try to access the Internet? this happens on customers with and without the Firewall Client.