New Domain Controller will not controll domain.
Posted on 2007-08-07
I am really struggling with a new Windows 2003 Server domain controller. I want to demote the current DC and have the new one replace it. This is what I have done so far:
1) Installed Windows 2003 Server and promoted it to additional DC to transfer all the active directory information.
2) Set up DNS and DHCP and again copied everything from the old server (also Windows 2003 Server) all the DNS entries are identical.
3) Transferred all the 5 FSMO roles first using the GUI then using ntdsutil.exe. For all 5 roles the output was that the role has been successfully transfered to the new server.
4) The Global Catalog setting is checked on the new server and not checked on the old server.
5) I then attempted to demote the old server but it didn't complete as the old server believed it was the last DC of the domain.
6) I then tried turning off the old server. rebooting the new one in a hope that the new one would then simply take over as all the roles were in place.
The new server has not taken over control of the domain. I cannot add new users and I cannot access Group Policy. I have checked that my new server is the master for the 5 fsmo roles and it is. I have even gone on to seize the roles in ntdsutils.exe but I still get the message that it "Completed Successfully".
I have now gone on to running dcdiag,exe and I have some interesting error messages:
WARNING: DcGetDcName (GC_SERVER_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1355
A Global Catalog Server could not be located - All GC's are down.
WARNING: DcGetDcName (TIME_SERVER) call failed, error 1355
A Time Server could be located.
The server holding the PDC role is down.
WARNING: DcGetDcName (GOOD_TIME_SERVER_PREFERRED) call failed, error 1355
A Good Time Server could not be located.
WARNING: DcGetDcName (KDC_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1355
A KDC could not be located - All KDCs are down.
Any help would be greatly appreciated....