Creating a rating system for my users.
Posted on 2007-08-07
I have a small site with a couple thousand users. The users can currently upload up to 5 pictures of themselves. I would like to create a rating system to allow users the ability to rate other users pictures and based on the ratings of the possible 5 images, come up with a single rating for that user. This type of thing is a little advanced from anything I've done in the past. I would appreciate any help.
I will be displaying the images on the home page using some way to display the images fairly and evenly and the images can also be rated directly in the user's profile.
Heres what I'm heading for in a nut shell.
- Users can have up to 5 pictures (they may only have 1, or 2, or 3 etc)
- Each Image will be rated individually, using some way of displaying the images evenly and fair (not sure how yet)
- Based on the ratings from the images, and how many times the users images have been rated the user will have a calculated overall rating
- If the user decides to add or change a picture, this should not effect the past ratings.
- The rating will be on a scale of 1-10.
Basically Im trying to create something similar to hotornot.com or other large ratings systems, on a small scale for my niche site.
I'm using Coldfusion 8 with a MySql 5 backend. I really appreciate anyones help.
Thanks for your time.