• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 180
  • Last Modified:

Requesting data from exchange server

I have a 2 year old Small Business Server 2003. It has been running great. Within the last few weeks I have a few users getting a "Requesting data from Exchange Server" message that appears to hang their system. Any Ideas?
0
bmoore2152
Asked:
bmoore2152
1 Solution
 
Andrew DavisManagerCommented:
This will happen if the SBS machine cannot process the request quick enough. Have a look at the server usage. the size of mailbox's Whether you have antivirus on the server that is checking the exchange and bogging it down.

Have a look at http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/issue200402/00001228001.html
0
 
markonsitefast06Commented:
Take a look at the size of the Exchange database.  Even if it is under the maximum size, it could be dirty.  Try an offline defrag of the database.
0
 
Ron MalmsteadInformation Services ManagerCommented:
I would start by looking at task manager to see if any processes are pegging the CPU or hogging memory.  If this tends to happen at a specific time of the day....there may be some process scheduled to run during that time...like a virus scan, or backup job, or other.

Anti-virus is always a suspect.  You should have the database files excluded from scanning....but leave smtp scanning inbound/outbound on.
0
Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
Malli BoppeCommented:
I think you server is getting hammered.Do a perfmon and analyse the logs.
also you might try this
http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/issue200210/challenge001.html
0
 
Andrew DavisManagerCommented:
as the requester never provided any feedback, i believe it is likly that one of the above resolved (or at least helped). All the answers are good and are valid. Therefore i would recommend a points split rather than a delete.
0
 
bmoore2152Author Commented:
Sorry for the extreme delay in following up. I did an offline defrag and it seemed to fix the problem. I did experience the same problem 2 weeks later and it was a situation where store.exe grew to a huge size. I stopped it and restarted it and we seem to be running fine now.

Thanks to all for the help. I was going crazy with this one.
0
 
Andrew DavisManagerCommented:
Glad to here it got resolved for you.
0

Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now