Licensing - 2003 Server SBS + 2003 Server Standard

Posted on 2007-08-09
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-11-05
I've sort of asked this before, but I don't fully understand it yet, so here it goes 1 more time:

Currently, we have 1 server w/ SBS running. We're looking to purchase a 2nd server. I understand that it must be 2003 Standard since you can only have 1 SBS running.

Now, we currently have 20 CALs on SBS. So my question(s) are:

1) Do all CALs on SBS apply to any Standard installs? i.e. Will I need to purchase additional licenses if I install 2003 Server Standard on a new machine.
2) On Dell, HP, etc, when you purchase the OS w/ the server, they come with a minimum of 5 CALs. Is there a way to purchase just the OS w/out any additional licenses? If not, can I apply those CALs to the SBS server (that is, if #1 holds true).

Basically I need to know whether or not separate licenses are required for Standard Edition and whether or not any Standard Edition licenses can be applied to SBS.

Question by:derekkromm
  • 3
  • 2
LVL 97

Expert Comment

by:Lee W, MVP
ID: 19663674
1.  Yes, all SBS CALs cover you for other servers.  You do not need to purchase any additional CALs.

2.  You may be able to purchase a Microsoft Volume License for the OS WITHOUT CALs, but all OEM licenses I've seen include 5 CALs.  (OEM license is what you get when you buy Windows from your hardware vendor - DELL, HP, Etc.).  And note: I DO NOT KNOW FOR CERTAIN that volume licenses will permit purchase without CALs.

To get into a Volume License Agreement, you should contact a large vendor - Dell should sell them (but will not preinstall them), zones.com, CDW.com will also sell them.
LVL 38

Expert Comment

by:Hypercat (Deb)
ID: 19663750
First of all, PLEASE NOTE that the following comments apply to licensing within the U.S.  It looks like you're in the country, so I'm answering based on that.  I do not know anything about licensing outside the U.S. except that the requirements and rules may be different.

1)  When licensing is done on a per user basis for the domain, then one license covers one user connecting to as many servers as are on the domain.  When licensing is done on a per client basis, then one license covers one client PC connecting to as many servers as are on the domain.  In either case, the license covers multiple server connections from one user or workstation.  So, you do not need to purchase additional CALs for your second server.

2) Standard CALs and SBS CALs are very different.  A standard CAL covers only the connection from user/client to the Windows servers on the domain. Additional specific CALs would be needed for Exchange, SQL, etc.  SBS CALs cover all of the server applications running on the SBS server - including Exchange, SQL (if included), ISA, etc.  You cannot use the 5 CALs that come with a standard Windows 2003 server license on the SBS server.  If you need additional CALs in your case, because your domain is running under SBS, you would have to purchase SBS CALs.  

The additional 5 CALs that come with the standard server license are sort of "free" - you can't purchase a server license without them.
LVL 15

Author Comment

ID: 19663803
Interesting. Our plan is to migrate our SQL Server off of the SBS server onto its own box. We use Microsoft Dynamics, which is basically a SBS application for financials/management. It comes with a copy of SQL Server. Would I need to purchase additional licenses for SQL Server if I want to make it standalone?
Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

LVL 38

Expert Comment

by:Hypercat (Deb)
ID: 19663821
Are you sure it's using full SQL?  If it is, then yes, you would have to purchase SQL CALs for your client workstations.  It may be using SQL Express, though (SQL 2005 version of what used to be called MSDE), which doesn't require CALs.
LVL 38

Accepted Solution

Hypercat (Deb) earned 2000 total points
ID: 19663873
Actually, I just looked at this, since being a Microsoft Partner, I really should know about this solution, but I don't.  It looks to me like the CALs for the Microsoft Dynamics product are a thing unto their own, so a separate SQL CAL might not apply.  I would recommend checking with the consultant that you're using, if any.
LVL 15

Author Comment

ID: 19663907
We're not using a consultant, but we have a couple of free support questions w/ microsoft that I could use. But yes, the 2005 install is the full standard edition.

Thanks for the help. if you happen to stumble upon an answer, let me know :)

Featured Post

Free learning courses: Active Directory Deep Dive

Get a firm grasp on your IT environment when you learn Active Directory best practices with Veeam! Watch all, or choose any amount, of this three-part webinar series to improve your skills. From the basics to virtualization and backup, we got you covered.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This guide is intended to provide step by step instructions on how to migrate from Small Business Server 2003 to Small Business Server 2011. NOTE: This guide has been written using the preview version of SBS2011 therefore some of the screens may …
I've always wanted to allow a user to have a printer no matter where they login. The steps below will show you how to achieve just that. In this Article I'll show how to deploy printers automatically with group policy and then using security fil…
Exchange organizations may use the Journaling Agent of the Transport Service to archive messages going through Exchange. However, if the Transport Service is integrated with some email content management application (such as an anti-spam), the admin…
Loops Section Overview

839 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question