In a nutshell:
PWA works perfectly when connecting on the local LAN, error conditions exist when connecting using VPN. I have verified this by 1) connecting locally and testing then 2) using the same LAN connection, connecting via our VPN server (Juniper).
o Project Server 2003 SP1
o NTLM authentication
o Tested with IE 6.0 and IE 7.0
o Also tested with Nortel VPN client with the same results.
o Tested with all firewalls disabled.
I can connect to the PWA home page no problem.
1. When I click Projects from the main menu, the following message flashes on the screen then I am returned to the PWA home page:
There are no projects to display in this view.
You either do not have permissions to see any projects in this view or the projects you have permissions toview have not yet been published. Contact your server administrator.
(There are most definitely projects to display)
2. When I choose Tasks from the PWA main menu, an empty grid flashes on the screen and I am returned to the PWA home page.
3. When I choose Resources from the PWA main menu, I get the following message in an OKOnly dialog box:
An error occurred while trying to access the resources stored on the database. Either there are too many resources,or the Project Server may not have the correct DSN conFiguration. Contact the server administrator.
(The DSN is correct. I even tested it using IP addresses instead of names)
3. When I choose Updates from the PWA main menu, I get a "Loading data..." message flashes and I am returned to the PWA home page.
4. Risks, Issues, and Documents menu items work correctly.
Here's what I do know:
o All service packs and updates are installed.
o Security settings are correct - the testing was done with both standard user and admin rights.
o When I trace the IIS traffic and reproduce the error, I found that at the point of failure, the client is GETing the file /ProjectServer/styles/1033/PWAGrid.css. This file does not exist anywhere on the server, client, or Project Server installation DVD. Not as a zipped file, not in any CAB files, not anywhhere that I can find.
o When I trace IIS on a non-VPN connection, PWAGrid.css is never requested by the client.
o All addresses can be resolved (DNS) by both the server and the client.
o The supporting SQL Server (2000 SP4) is installed on the same box as Project Server 2003.
After week, this is making me crazy. I can't be the Lone Ranger here...someone else has surely run into this...