?
Solved

How to remove ULS from MS Access split mdb

Posted on 2007-08-09
4
Medium Priority
?
289 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-29
So, i secured my Access mdb today, and everything went fine, except that is slows development down to an utter crawl.  It seems that now everytime i try to make a change to any VB CBF i have a 10 second delay that i only assume is Access checking whether or not i have the correct permission on the object i'm messing with.  Since the DB is not yet in production and i still have a good ways to go on it, does anyone know how to UN-apply user level security to an MS Access .mdb?
0
Comment
Question by:zhenchyld
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 26

Accepted Solution

by:
souseran earned 1200 total points
ID: 19667360
0
 

Author Comment

by:zhenchyld
ID: 19667432
ha ha !  i'll try that first thing tomorrow.  I'm glad i asked, becuase that sounds a whole lot easier than anything i was going to try.
0
 
LVL 85

Assisted Solution

by:Scott McDaniel (Microsoft Access MVP - EE MVE )
Scott McDaniel (Microsoft Access MVP - EE MVE ) earned 800 total points
ID: 19668641
Generally ULS won't cause slowdowns. I use it on almost every project, and have never noticed a performance problem.

Are you sure you aren't experiencing delays from something else? This almost sounds as if the Name Autocorrect feature is enabled. You can (and should) disable it via the Tools - Options menu, General tab (uncheck the Track Name Autocorrect info setting).
0
 

Author Comment

by:zhenchyld
ID: 19671023
LSM - name autocorrect is on because the first thing i did with this db was run through and rename everything according to a naming convention.  it hungs up for about 5-10 seconds every time i start to edit any VB; it's ok if i'm in a form and hit 'design view' and go to properties and go to 'on update' and edit the code like that, but when i Alt-Tab back and forth between teh VB editor and form view (which i do CONSTANTLY) or when i scroll down and start to edit another event or a public function or what-have-you i get the 5-10 second pause.  it started immediately after i implemented ULS; i thought maybe it was becuase the WorkGroup file was on the server with teh backend of things but even when i point Access to a local version of the workgroup file i get the same behavior.

anyway i'll kill name autocorrect and then import everything into a new db and see if that helps.  thanks for the tip regardless as Name Autocorrect seems to be a pretty crappy feature anyway (http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html) and i was not aware of the problems it could pose.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

In Part II of this series, I will discuss how to identify all open instances of Excel and enumerate the workbooks, spreadsheets, and named ranges within each of those instances.
Traditionally, the method to display pictures in Access forms and reports is to first download them from URLs to a folder, record the path in a table and then let the form or report pull the pictures from that folder. But why not let Windows retr…
In Microsoft Access, learn different ways of passing a string value within a string argument. Also learn what a “Type Mis-match” error is about.
In Microsoft Access, learn how to use Dlookup and other domain aggregate functions and one method of specifying a string value within a string. Specify the first argument, which is the expression to be returned: Specify the second argument, which …

864 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question