I am running Exchange Server 2003 and have a number of different clients (Outlook 2000, Outlook 2003, mobile device, Mac mail, Entourage, etc.)
For various reasons, I have the server Running POP/SMTP for connectivity for many people.
On 8-9, while I was installing an update SSL cert., My antiviru/antispam (Ninja) software downloaded a bad Spam definition (Cloudmark was the offending party).
After hours of trying to figure out what I had done, I finally disabled the antivirus/spam package and things started flowing again. Ninja releases an .exe that was supposed to fix the issue and I waited until today 8-12-07 to run it. I ran it and now Outlook clients get this error:
Task smtp.domain.net - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
I have tried:
Enabling/disabling antivirus/spam package.
Disabling all Services associated with spam/antispam.
Disabling antivirus in the registry
Verifying SMTP virtual server settings.
OWA works fine, it is only the clients that do no send.
Seems to be negotiating the login, the server just terminates the connection right after it starts.
I currently have completely disabled Ninja, removed all of the service dependencies to the ExchangeIS and SMTP services. All settings should be as they were before, but I still get the same SMTP error on clients.
I need some help here in a bad way. If email is down again in the morning, even though it isn't really my fault, I am in deep.
If there is any other info I can post, please let me know.