Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard. Having trouble with domain. This is a single server on a network with 200+ machines. Server lost its RAID controller, upon replacement OS was corrupt, Dell instructed a clean install was imperative. New OS install was completed, domain was rebuilt, but something is not right. DNS populated, AD populated, but no clients in Network Places. I was called for assistance. Here is what I have found In the registry that is baffling me and I believe causing the problems.
HLM-Software-MS-MSMQ-Setup has the following:
MachineDomain Reg_sz ROSCOEISD0 (roscoeisd with a zero on the end)
MachineDomainFQDN Reg_sz RoscoeISD.local
AltDefaultDomainName Reg_sz ROSCOEISD0
CachePrimaryDomain Reg_sz ROSCOEISD0
DefaultDomainName Reg_sz ROSCOEISD0
ROSCOEISD0 Reg_sz RoscoeISD.local
The FQDN of the server is RoscoeISD.roscoeisd.local. AD, DHCP, & DNS domain is roscoeisd.local. And it all tests out with roscoeisd.local. However, when the tech joins computers to the domain she said it will only join the domain ROSCOEISD0, roscoe.local is "not available". I have tried adding ROSCOEISD0 to DNS but it defaults back to what it already has, roscoeisd.local.
I asked a similar question last night and thought I had it fixed, but I didn't. If I can get this taken care of we are going to place two more servers on the network as backup DC's. The tech there has worked many long hours rebuilding the network because of it being a single server system, and it still isn't right.
Thanks for any insights!