The Global Address List isnt updating on Client machines. I noticed that this problem started after I went into active directory and checked the box in the users account to hide address from GAL. I also recently update our SSL certificate for our OWA. We have a few new people join our company and the new accounts do not show up in the Address Book. I went into Default Global Address List in ESM and right clicked it and selected propertied. I then selected preview. Everyone that is suppose to be on the list is listed in that window, including the new accounts. I have selected Re-build for the GAL.
I went into the Client's machine and forced the Offline Address book update by going into Tools>Send/Recieve and update Address Book-- still doesnt work.
One thing I have noticed that was strange was on a new Outlook setup. I had the machine join the domain and then configured Outlook for the Exchange server. After the setup was finished I started Outlook and the Address book displayed the correct people. However, once I did a restart on the machine it went back to the same list that everyone else is seeing.
If I cant get any fixes from here, I think my last option is to restart the exchange server or maybe the exchange services.