We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Access 2003 Runtime Error with Runtime - Function not available in expressions

1,320 Views
Last Modified: 2008-12-17
Hi Folks,
Sometimes I just want to eat worms!
I am trying to use the Access 2003 runtime. I have a program that is
fully working in 2003 but when I install the runtime version onto a machine
that has no MS Access with  O/S Win 2000 installed, I have multiple errors.

error ---  "Function is not available in query expressions.
 
The function is format([event_date],"ddd")

This error occurs 30 times, as I used it alot in queries.

There are four other errors for simple functions I use in the 2003
program. Has anyone had similar errors or can anyone point me to a
site that is likely to look into Access 2003 Runtime bugs. Have tried
searching the Microsoft site without success. I cannot believe I am
the only one experiencing these problems.

Any help greatley appreciated


Comment
Watch Question

DatabaseMX (Joe Anderson - Microsoft Access MVP)Database Architect / Application Developer
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2007

Commented:
*Typically* ... this error would occur if you do not have a reference to DAO ...  which is the case when you create a brand new mdb.  However, seems this should not be an issue with the RT.

mx
IT Pro/Developer
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2008
Commented:
Unlock this solution and get a sample of our free trial.
(No credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION
DatabaseMX (Joe Anderson - Microsoft Access MVP)Database Architect / Application Developer
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2007

Commented:
turner64119

What was the exact resolution - per the possibilities mention in the KB ... for your case?

mx

Author

Commented:
Oh man, has this one been a trip!
tks DatabaseMX but I did have a DAO reference already.
tks jpauline, you lead me down a path that really help out on this one.
The article you pointed  me to had a lot to sy about references. Like, uncheck them, Compile, do a Compact and repair, leave the program, reenter the program and reset the references. After I did this I still had problems, I put the references in a different order. Now I'm seeing light ! But the real deal came when I did NOT make a .mde and used the package wizard with the .mdb. Big Change. The code started runing a bit and then pooped out. It wanted some files it could not find. Don't ask me why, I though the wizard was supposed to add all necessay files.
In my case the files where MSADO27.tbl  --  MSOUTL.OLB  and MSWORD.olb. So, I simply added these files in the wizard setup (add files), set it to my newered PC and bingo. These files where in \WINNT\SYSTEM32.
I reckon it's a done deal. Let ya'all know how it goes in with the clients.
tks  fturner64119
Unlock the solution to this question.
Thanks for using Experts Exchange.

Please provide your email to receive a sample view!

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.