A client recently contacted me, because they have issues with thier Windows SBS 2003 using network resources on their server. We detected there is a domain called uds.org with a SBS 2003 DC SERVER2, we also notice that the DNS clients was configured to point to ISP External DNS and there was created ten users in a OU, but there WASN'T Computer Objects created.
As you know, while the DNS Client settings are wrong, the Windows Authentication doesn't work. But sometimes it make fails the Mapped Network Drives. So my client decide to install another server, with windows server 2003 and the same hostname (New SERVER2), the same domain name and nothing else, more issues on the network, because of Workstations Objetcs in Active Directory Missing, so we have two domains and two servers with the same name, all new (5) workstations was added to the new domain, so the Computer Object was created, and theses clients were working fine.
We disconnect the SBS 2003 PDC and we run DCPROMO to wipe out old domain and to change the name, but we completely forget about exchange and SBS tools, so we decided to manually remove exchange with the "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396/
How to remove Exchange Server 2003 from your computer".
We could change the name of the server and we applied the "How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory domain in the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us
", so we have the new SERVERUDS and SERVER2 online both as a DC, and all the AD Roles on SERVERUDS. We started to join remaining clients to the new domain, we corrected DNS Client issues, and copy or transfer user profiles in workstations, we migrated a Fox 2.6 Application that they have in server2. And we succesfully demote the SERVER2 and wipe out them from the domain
All were working fine, until we pretend to install the Windows SBS Components, we don't need exchange, just the domain that's why we didn't detect this problem before.
Now we cannot add licenses because of the Message "This computer cannot be upgraded to the OEM version of Small Business Server" when we run the "CD1 Setup". Actually it is a OEM version but we used the same disc that was first used, and we didn't repair or do something with that.
It's the second time that i've got this message but last time we reformat the server to proceed.
I don't want to reformat because this client lives outside from my city, and i can use Logmein to get into the server